Peasants come from the countryside to serve Rohan. They are the main foot soldiers of the Rohirrim armies. Weak and cheap, these units are recruitable from any Flour Mill. They are a useful early game force that can be upgraded later on to much more solid Rohan Footmen. All Peasant units also receive a leadership bonus when near Flour Mills, a 30% boost to their attack. This ability represents the peasants' drive to protect their homes from the ravaging enemies around them.
Militias of Rohan - The Peasants of Rohan have little combat experience and poor weaponry but will still fight fiercely to defend their land. They gain +30% armor when near Flour Mills and can be drafted to improve their effectiveness in combat. Once they reach level 2 through combat experience or the banner carrier upgrade, they automatically receive the draft bonus, unlock combat formations and can be equipped forged blades and heavy armor. (Passive ability)
The Peasants can be given the following upgrades:
- Other infantry if they are swordsmen
- Monsters and Cavalry if they are pikemen
- Buildings if they are cavalry
- Using the Spell Power Draft (2pp) gives the peasants swords and shields, which boosts their armor and attack.
Available from Corrupt Theoden's spell, these footmen provide needed strength in the early game.
- Targeted Peasants are converted into the Traitors loyal to Isengard and Saruman.
- Traitors are strong swordsmen that back up the regular peasants. These followers of Grima are powerful but have time limits and cannot receive any upgrades. Once their timer ends they disappear from the map.
The fact that peasants can be recruited in settlements provides a unique advantage strategically. They are accessible practically anywhere, allowing for constant production and attack. Peasants lend themselves to an aggressive strategy where all the Flour Mills make peasants. With this, there is a high volume of production and still a sustainable economy. Many Rohan Heroes support peasants. Gamling provides them a recruitment speed boost and can permanently summon a level 2 battalion. Corrupted Theoden can turn peasants into Traitors, a stronger version of peasants that have a timer.